Well, it looks like MSNBC HAS been reading my e-mails. Keith Olbermann has been demoted (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/08/business/media/08msnbc.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1&sq=convnetion%20coverage&st=cse&scp=1&oref=slogin)! Praise Jesus. It took them receiving the lowest ratings in political convention coverage two cycles in a row (Olbermann was only the host of convention coverage during the conventions this year, but not four years ago) to realize that clearly something has gone wrong with their coverage.
I never understood why MSNBC would put someone who is so adament about his views on camera to host the convention coverage. Not only is American journalism supposed to be un-biased (we will compare American journalism vs. British journalism in a future post), but the conventions themselves are essentially the most important political event to keep bias free from coverage!
This article exemplified a point I have been feeling for most of this year...MSNBC, which once was regarded by me and many others as a relatively unbiased location to get your news (except for the fact that MSNBC is tied to two of the biggest corporations in the world, Microsoft and General Electric) has turned decidedly to the left. We know that CNN is on the left (now that Olbermann has been demoted, I will be working diligently to bring the same fate to Wolf Blitzer). We know that FOX is on the right (to Fox's credit, Bill O'Reilly, the most controversial FOX news personality, does not take part in convention coverage). So it looks like major broadcast journalism has run its course for me.
Print journalism might be just as bad. I will have to investigate. I always hear that the New York Times is pretty liberal...I know their editorial page is, but I will gave their coverage a chance. I will probably try to compare it to the Washington Post, which is known as more conservative, and let you guys know what I think...
Until we meet again, goodbye!
No comments:
Post a Comment