Here is a brief review of tonight's debate:
McCain won on the issue of spending and earmarks, providing facts that Obama could not even attempt to deny.
Neither candidate explained why the crisis on Wall Street is important to the average American.
Neither candidate was able to give an answer to the question "What will you give up in order to pay for the financial crisis?"
Obama won on the issue of healthcare, mentioning that McCain wants to tax healthcare deductions, essentially making it more difficult for employer's to provide healthcare to employees.
Obama won on the issue of talking with rogue leaders
In general...I think the debate was a draw...which is essentially a win for McCain, as no one expects him to do as well as Obama in this type of setting.
Although I liked what McCain said on the economy, I think Obama won the debate on the economy. McCain kept bringing the issue back to taxes and spending (which I like) but did not necessarily answer the questions adequately. Obama brought up many issues that affect the average voter, including fighting for the middle class and providing relief to the high cost of healthcare and energy. Right or wrong, McCain barely touched these topics. He made a big mistake by not doing so.
Although I favor Obama on talking with rogue leaders, McCain won the foreign policy debate for me. Obama kept bringing the argument back to the invasion of Iraq and whether or not it was right or wrong; newsflash, thats over - nothing we can do about it now. McCain provided numerous examples of his depth of experience and knowledge on foreign affairs, and was very assertive and commanding of his stances on these topics. You could tell McCain was far more comfortable in this area. McCain was completely right tonight on the importance of Iraq and his support of the troop surge. Obama was completely right on the importance of talking with leaders of countries we do not like.
Overall debate...I LIKED how Obama consistently said that McCain was right. I don't care what the pundits say; I respect Obama looking for points of agreement. McCain made the statement that it is hard for someone so far to the left to work with others across the aisle; well, it sure seemed to me like Obama can find common ground.
Obama had great command throughout the debate, plain and simple. McCain was not very strong at the beginning of the debate when it focused on the economy, but clearly came around when the topic changed to foreign affairs, his strength.
Obama tried to speak directly with McCain and answer his questions; McCain would not even look at Obama. McCain just in general did not seem comfortable in this environment. Obama definietly showed that he wanted to be engaged directly with McCain, and that, as we all know, he is simply a superior communicator.
That is just my brief review...
Until we meet again, goodbye!
No comments:
Post a Comment