It is not that I am insensitive to those in the path of major hurricanes that have hit the American coastline this year. But...I think in the wake of Katrina, today's campaigning politicians are going out of their way to show an impractical compassion for those victims...
What good did delaying the major speeches and arranging planned events for the first day of the Republican convention do to help those affected by Hurricane Gustav? What good did canceling Obama's appearance on SNL do to help those affected by Hurricane Ike? Nothing. Both of these actions were only decided upon for political reasons, not practical. If either candididate had cancelled their events to oversee recovery efforts, that would be a different story. But none of them did.
Ridiculous.
You know, I hadn't even thought about that...I'll have to check to see if they were anywhere where they could have been doing real work before I judge- but if not, good point!
ReplyDelete