Sunday, February 8, 2009

Wealth

http://www.newsweek.com/id/183718

What is the definition of wealth? Here is a definition that captures my thoughts on this topic over the last few years:

"Wealth is the ability to fully experience life
" - Henry David Thoreau

To me wealth is a relative term. A kid that stumbles on a $10 bill blowing in the wind thinks they are just as wealthy as the stock broker who just ended the day on the right side of a sell-off. Some mornings I drive to work thinking about my insecure finances and how I can cut back, and then other days I spend my time thinking about the next purchase I am set to make as a result of confidence in my financial situation. Both these examples seem to coincide well with Thoreau's description.

It seems to me wealth also is in many ways tied to the idea of mobility; if one feels like they have the ability to move forward with their lives (which often involves finances in some way) then they are more likely to be happy with their financial situation. Last year at this time, when I was in the process of buying a house, I feel as though I was much happier; my financial situation was allowing me to do what I wanted. Today what I want is much different; a bigger house and more time to enjoy it. If all goes according to plan, the bigger house is down the road a little bit, but having more time to enjoy it? Unless I win the lottery or find a job that will pay me exuberant amounts of money to do practically nothing, it looks like my only option is some type of business owner (and from what I can tell, that is bound to have drawbacks).

So inevitably wealth is happiness; the ability to do what you want, whenever you want. To experience life (as Thoreau puts it). Spring is just around the corner, and most who know me know I am generally a better person to be around this time of year. My mind is usually not so bogged down with insignificant things and I am focused on enjoying myself as the weather improves. I am very excited for this summer; I have vowed to fully appreciate warm weather, to golf more, to go to the beach more, to take as many trips as possible, and to drink more beer and grill more food on my porch (while listening to my iPod of course). I might even find a way to enclose the porch so my cat can come out with me without running into the road. As you can see it does not take too much to make me happy.

I think if I survive until summer time, I might feel quite wealthy - regardless of the details of my financial situation. Doing what I just described shows relativity (I am sure this is not quite your picture of what will make you happy), mobility (the ability to do whatever I want), and inevitably, happiness (as besides holding a job or becoming independently wealthy nothing more could ever make me happier).

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them" - Henry David Thoreau. I am determined to not be this type of person.

Until we meet again, goodbye!

No comments:

Post a Comment