Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Word on Persistance

I watched Obama's entire press conference tonight, taking notes throughout. I was impressed by the leadership Obama is demonstrating with our budget. I hate the idea of our budget deficit expanding to anywhere from $7 to $9 trillion in ten years. But it was rewarding to feel Obama's vision when he said it is necessary to fix health care, education, and energy in order to grow the economy, and that failure to do so risks the same budget deficits in the future, but with no investment in these growth areas.

I completely agree with Obama on fixing all three items. I simply question the best way to go about doing that, particularly when it comes to health care. I am worried about giving benefits to those who are not paying into the system, and until I see that worry addressed, it will be hard for me to be behind his plan. And I am worried about an unprecedented increase in government spending and financial responsibility at a time when the country is getting older. But I am still listening.

Obama claims the 3.6 trillion budget will "lay the foundation for a lasting prosperity." In short, Obama is basically proposing a short term hit of trillions of dollars for a more solid economic foundation. I think the principles of this spending are sound (forgetting about the fact we do not actually have the money), but I do not see how the economy can grow without a tax code that favors business. It is my opinion, as discussed in previous posts, that our economy primarily suffers from having (in some states) the highest tax rate in the world (literally).

If Obama would try to mesh together these two ideas (laying a sound groundwork on domestic necessities while providing a more competitive business climate) it would be much easier to swallow the hikes in the deficit.

Obama closed his press conference by speaking of persistence, saying "we are moving in the right direction". He talked of "staying with it as long as I am in office." And he said, "If it was an easy decision, it would not make it to my desk." I am hopeful mine and other Republican's persistance on the issue of a pro-business tax code will make its way to his desk soon.

Until we meet again, goodbye!

No comments:

Post a Comment