Yeah...I think not.
The only circumstance I would give the big three automakers of Detroit any government money is if their executives made less than the President of the United States and had no perks. In addition, the government would need to have full oversight of how the money was being spent (with the ability to hold back payment at any point), and the money would not be given in a lump sum. Third, the money would have to be paid back at some point. Finally, the money would need to be used in a way that makes the companies stronger (and I will leave that to the experts to decide, but I am guessing it should have something to do with product quality).
The bottom line is simple; giving these companies a blank check will only prolong the tragic inevitably of the failure of these companies. And even if they could continue on with the help of an allowance from the government, what exactly would that say about those companies, and America, anyway? It is not the responsibility of the government to financially support private business, and if these businesses were worth giving money to they would not be flying to Washington on private jets asking for it.
As a Republican, I am against putting this country further into debt and making taxpayers sign a blank check. But I understand that our options economically are simple; endure a long, painful depression through an economic correction (consumers and businesses are running out of credit and are afraid to use it, which is causing the slow-down in consumer spending), or have the only entity capable of getting us out of this mess rapidly inject taxpayer debt into the system. I am OK with the 2nd option, but there is a smart way to do it.
Until we meet again, goodbye!
No comments:
Post a Comment