Saturday, October 17, 2009

Maldives

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/10/17/maldives.underwater.meeting/index.html

The government of Maldives held a cabinet meeting underwater to shed light on rising sea levels (which threaten to completely overtake their country within the next 600 years).

While I feel incredibly bad for this country I've never heard of before (its a nation of islands located in the Indian Ocean), reading this story makes me think about the various portions of the United States that are located at, or very near, sea level.

I am not quite sure how valid this information is, but check this out: http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0001792.html. According to the chart, there are two places in the United States below sea level: Death Valley, California (probably not at risk of flooding) and of course, New Orleans.

I am not insensitive to the people of New Orleans. I am certainly not insensitive to their unique culture and history (after all, Dave Matthews Band choose to record their latest album there). But why are we dumping billions of dollars into rebuilding a city located below an ocean at a time when sea levels are rising?

Until we meet again, goodbye!

No comments:

Post a Comment