It looks like the world community will go the route of sanctions in response to North Korea's missile launch today. It seems this is the best option; however, I am not really sure what else we can do to this country in terms of sanctions.
Although President Bush, in response to positive steps in nuclear disarmament talks, terminated the Trading with the Enemy Act with respect to North Korea in June 2008, there are still extensive sanctions against North Korea held by the United States (let alone the rest of the world). The most notable of these sanctions prevents the import of North Korean goods into the United States, either directly or indirectly.
I think the most logical sanction would be to prevent the export of American goods into North Korea. I am not quite sure what they would buy from us, but I do know the enactment of this measure by other countries (especially China) would certainly have negative consequences for their already dire economy.
An even smarter idea would be for every country to prohibit the travel of North Korean government personnel over their airspace. Doing so would prevent North Korean scientists and engineers from visiting their friends in Iran for nuclear technology pointers. Of course, for this to be effective we should also look into doing the same for Iran. I am sure North Korea could get around this policy through telephone or Internet, (and it would probably not be wise to cut off those resources) but it would at least make things more difficult for them.
The only items we should provide for this country should be humanitarian in nature, and even then there needs to be regulation of their distribution.
Until we meet again, goodbye!
No comments:
Post a Comment